Quantity Surveyor - New Build Social Housing
With experience across every sector, our client is is a leading force in the construction industry and has the expertise and production capability to deliver high quality, cost effective buildings that meet the current and future needs of their users a leading well established contractor with works across the UK and Ireland.
Our client operates across multiple sectors, delivering a comprehensive range of innovative , operating in the Residential new build, Commercial, Retail, Hotel, Student Accommodation and Education sectors.
It is with this growth in mind our client wishes to appoint an experienced quantity surveyor Surveyor to be based at their head office in Ealing, to oversee a number of new build developments on behalf of their local authority and housing association clients, and may need to visit site as and when required.
The surveyor will be reporting to the Commercial Manager and will carry out the duties and responsibilities as described further below.
- The candidate will be qualified to Degree/HND or HNC in Quantity Surveying or a similar commercial degree in construction.
- A full valid driving licence.
- The candidate will need to demonstrate an appropriate level of experience in the construction industry as a Quantity Surveyor, or in a similar Commercial Manager role for a large main contractor.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES INCLUDE:
The candidate will need to following attributes and qualifications as a minimum:
- Effectively communicate with the Commercial Manager on a daily basis advising of any issues that may affect the cost, value or margin of the projects.
- Be able to communicate Contract/Sub-Contract advice to site based staff.
- Placement of subcontract orders to step down contractual terms and manage risk, including placement of ITT’s and ensuring notices and payment are made on time.
- Keeping accurate relevant records.
- Ensure subcontract accounts are managed within budgets and subcontracts/final accounts are signed and agreed in a timely manner.
- Collate commercial information for drafting Cost Value Reconciliations on a monthly basis to deadlines.
- Dealing with Subcontract disputes and ensuring payment notices are in place and in line with current legislation.
- Timely and properly recorded Applications to Clients.
- Producing Project Variations including tracking documents and assessment of value taken to monthly Cost Value Reconciliation document.
- Final Accounts –assessment of and timely submission of final accounts giving regular updates to the client to ensure expectations are aligned.
- Advise on and mitigate the effects of disputes - Recognise potential contractual issues on site and make good records including photographs and written statements to protect the clients interests.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- A good knowledge of construction methods and materials.
- Budget handling skills.
- Excellent IT and maths skills.
- A methodical approach to work.
- Good organisational skills.
- A good understanding of building contracts terms and conditions, and their legal and operational mechanisms.
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills.
- The ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent understanding a good experience of turnkey construction projects.